One of the oldest educational places in Romania, it was founded in 1879 as a Faculty of Medicine, later being associated with other two institutions which completed the medical instruction area – the Faculty of Pharmacy and the Faculty of Dentistry. In 1991, the institute receives the status of a University and the name of the famous representative of the School of Functional Anatomy in Iasi, Grigore T. Popa. Later on, the Faculty of Medical Bioengineering was also included, the only one of its kind in the country.
The university is proud today of its valuable professors and the material basis and modern techniques that are appropriate for the didactic and scientific research activity processes. UMF Iasi organizes yearly admission sessions for the English section at the following specializations: medicine, dentistry and pharmacy.